I spotted and fell in love with the negative space nail trend about a year ago on Pinterest and since then, I’ve tried it a few times. It’s minimal and easy and it has that “this person cares about trends, but doesn’t take themselves too seriously; I want to approach and have a conversation with them,” look. Well, maybe that’s an overshoot, but I love it nonetheless. I just love looking at my nails! Another cool thing about doing a seemingly complex manicure (it is not at all difficult) is that it instantly makes your outfit look put-together. Scroll through to see how it’s done!
What you need:
Nail polish remover
Clear base coat
3 or 4 nail polishes of similar tones (I used bronze/gold, a dusty pink, a gray/taupe, and a gray beaded polish)
Clear top coat (I use and LOVE the lilac scented one from Urban Outfitters)
Here’s how to do it:
1. Clean your nails with nail polish remover, then with soap and water.
2. Add 1 or 2 layers of the clear base coat.
3. Starting halfway up your nail and working toward the tip, apply a single stroke of the first polish.
4. Repeat this step for all of your nails.
*VERY IMPORTANT: Wait until that color is completely dry before the next step, otherwise the colors will combine, creating a muddy look.*
5. Then do the same with the other nail colors, so they slightly overlap.
6. When the tips of your nails are covered and totally dry, apply 2 layers of the top coat,
and voila! You have your high-fashion manicure.
If you try this out, tweet me a picture @tiffanyfajen and keep experimenting!